Editor’s Note: This is the second in our series highlighting some of the historic properties of the Rolling Mill neighborhood. The first focused on Kingsley Methodist Church
|Written by Chris Stevens|
|Friday, 12 February 2016
Discover Historic Rolling Mill: Malamphy’s Saloon (508 Park Street) and The Malamphy Bottling Works 218 Williams Street
The City of Cumberland and the Cumberland Economic Development Corporation, an instrumentality of City government, plan to demolish portions of the historic Rolling Mill neighborhood to build incompatible and economically unsustainable low-density sprawl. Proponents of demolition have suggested that the buildings are not historic; so in an effort to better understand what may be lost, we’ll be sharing short stories about many of these threatened properties.
The historic Malamphy’s Saloon and Malamphy Bottling Works buildings sit at the intersection of Park and Williams Streets, opposite the former Queen City Park. The 2-story brick structure (506-508 Park Street) with shingled gable dates from at least 1887. Simplified brackets and an elliptical gable window still accent the five bays wide and five bays deep building. The northern half of the building (506 Park) was the residence of Michael J. Malamphy (1862-1934) and his wife Wilhelmina. The southern half of the structure (508 Park) housed the saloon and still retains its original first floor commercial bracketed cornice above the saloon door. During the 1920s, the upper floors of the saloon also served as a boarding house. This building along with the Kingsley Methodist Church around the corner on Williams Street are two of the earliest structures constructed in this portion of the Rolling Mill neighborhood and are reminders of the Cumberland’s grand railroad era of the late-19th and early-20th centuries.
Michael J. Malamphy also owned the buildings immediately behind his Park Street residence and saloon at 216-222 Williams Street. Here he operated the Malamphy Bottling Works beginning around 1890. One of the buildings contained an ice house and another contained the electric bottling and capping equipment. In 1922, there were five bottlers of soft drinks in Cumberland, including L. T. Carpenter and Son, the Coca Cola Bottling Company, the Malamphy Bottling Works, the Whistle Bottling Company and Ver-Vac Bottling Company. Malamphy ran the bottling works until his death in 1934. Around 1950, the buildings 216-222 Williams Street were replaced with a more modern bottling works factory, built of brick, concrete and steel beams. A bottling works company continued to operate from this location until the 1970s. Today the bottling works building houses Miller’s Ironhouse Gym. Meanwhile, Malamphy Bottling Works bottles may be found for sale in local antique shops.
Unfortunately, the demolition plans for this neighborhood appear to extend to this historic saloon and bottling works as well. The plans call for new construction and surface parking in its place.
To read more about the history of this saloon and bottling works and other historic Rolling Mill buildings, please see the Rolling Mill/Maryland Avenue Inventory Form for State Historic Sites Survey prepared by the Maryland Historical Trust, our state historic preservation office: http://msa.maryland.gov/megafile/msa/stagsere/se1/se5/000001/000001/000530/pdf/msa_se5_530.pdf